FORECAST TRENDS LIKE A FUTURIST
Learn how to Explore, Identify, Connect and Present Future Scenarios
Our Common Goal
We will prioritise on the process of hunting, identifying and gathering the signals of the future with your instructor Geraldine Wharry, a leading futurist with 20 years of global experience.
Researching Trends and being in tune with the future of design and the world at large is a key skill in the Creative Industries.
In this course we aim to expand your creative and philosophical thinking through comprehensive and inspiring lectures, live sessions as well as real life tangible examples. We will focus on both the theoretical knowledge and the practical deliverables of future forecasting:
- Researching and identifying future shifts in behaviours and aesthetics
- Structuring your thinking and your research
- Delivering an impactful forecast both visually and in written form
There are a number of challenges to gain confidence and experience we will tackle. Do any of these pain points feel familiar?
- How to analyse signals and patterns of behaviour by applying a structured methodology?
- How to narrow down all the information collected into key messages and solutions?
- What are the different types of research?
- The balance between Data gathering and Intuitive research?
- How & when a trend repeats itself?
- How to work around a project brief?
- How to write about future trend concepts and direction?
- When to stop researching and to start making sense of the patterns?
- What is the difference between Micro & Macro trends?
- What is visual prototyping?
- What is scenario planning?
Who is this Course for?
Whether you are a Designer, Buyer, Merchandiser, Marketer, Academic, Student or simply Curious, becoming knowledgeable on how future patterns can be researched, identified and presented, is what this comprehensive course will take you through step-by-step.
The course is for those who want to study:
- A rigorous methodology of researching and identifying future behaviours
- We will focus on Macro and Micro Trends affecting the Style Industries
- How to cross triangulate the Cultural, Technological, Scientific, Socio-Political and Artistic signals that point to the future
If you’re not a Fashion Designer, or a Designer at all for that matter, the course will be invaluable as you will garner the methodology your instructor has herself applied to fields as diverse as Beauty, Retail, Tech and Fashion.
The course will teach how to structure your argument and communicate key future concepts, through visuals and writing. And in the age of Automation and Artificial Intelligence, to differentiate yourself from a machine, it's key to remain original and have a point of view through critical thinking and creativity.
The curriculum cannot teach you how to be an original thinker, but through exercises and discussions, you will develop your own sense making. Last but not least, we aim to question and redefine the role of future trend forecasting within the context of climate change and sustainability in the style industry.
Get started now!
What To Expect in Class
What will be your Toolbox and the Resources made available to you? For a lifetime.
- 6 Modules with an average of 10 to 13 lectures
- Videos and Screen cast tutorials pre-recorded
- Downloadable Research Library
- Further reading inspiration provided within lectures
- Downloadable Trend Report template
- Downloadable Exercises
- Quizzes throughout the module
- Downloadable Course Workbook
- Tutorials on how to organise and develop your research
- Tutorials on how to create your report from writing to visuals
- The classes can be completed in approximately 20 hours but some students have taken up to 40 hours, it depends on your schedule and style of learning and how often you like to consult the lectures
- The course is self paced
- Certificate of Course Completion
- Learn on the go on your phone via the Teachable App (available on IOS only)
Your Teacher will be right there with You
How will you be able to access your Instructor, get feedback, share your comments, ask questions and network?
- A Private Community Trello Board for questions, feedback, networking and sharing resources
- Live Private Sessions with your teacher scheduled throughout the course once a month
Geraldine Wharry's global experience as a Fashion Futurist and Designer has led her to collaborate with leading brands, agencies and institutions across Europe, Asia and the USA within Fashion, Beauty, Tech, Innovation, Marketing and Retail. Her clients have included Wgsn, Dior Beauty, Samsung and 7 For All Mankind.
She is based in London where she runs her consultancy, after working in the USA for 11 years in New York and Los Angeles. Geraldine is originally from Paris where she studied Textile Design. You can find out more here.
Passionate about knowledge and from a family of educators, artists and scientists, Geraldine has also dedicated herself to public speaking, mentoring, lecturing at leading universities and writing for publications ranging from Dazed Beauty to Fashion Network.
Get started now!
What Students Say
Read the testimonials showing the transformation this course provides and what students from all over the world have gained from taking my Master Class on Future Forecasting.
"This was a great course with an awesome instructor! The course helped me understand how to combine my intuition with data to form a comprehensive trend report. When I started the course, I did NOT know the theory behind trend forecasting. You, the course, gave a clear understanding of the theory behind trend forecasting and its importance. It was inspirational and very resourceful. I would love to make the whole course into a hardcover so I can have it at all times. Thank you so much!"
- Ana Ortega, Fashion Educator, New York USA
"I just wanted to say I've loved the course - everything about it! I have gained some great insight, direction and confidence from listening to your experience. I have decided to re-engage with design more sustainability and authentically and this course has given me such a wealth of research to explore and take with me. Thank you for all our help."
- Christine Teeling, Print Designer, London UK
" Geraldine taught me that to be a forecaster and detect the future, not only you must work on your skills to recognise patterns through society and disciplines but simultaneously you should keep thinking how those changes, that are occurring before your eyes, will impact the future. Geraldine was an inspiring teacher, futurist and even more as a person."
- Giulia Moschen Bracho, Trend Researcher, Barcelona Spain
"Thank you Geraldine for sharing all this amazing content. I've been studying Trend Research for years now, and I'm always looking for more experts to learn from. There is just so much to discover! Thanks again! :)"
- Andrea Riggio
"Very excited to be here and look forward to sharing ideas and inspiration. Really excited to be doing this course - it's something that I've wanted to do for a very long-time, and this course comes at a great time and the format is amazing too..!! This course addresses and delivers against all of my expectations. I'm very interested in the impact of trends on health and wellness and how the future of science-led innovation, and technology will deliver innovation and insights in new and exciting ways - add design/system thinking, the creative industry and the solutions are exponential. This course is amazing and has already provided some break-through thinking. Thank you Geraldine and I look forward to learning more and applying what I'm learning in new ways."
- Melanie Irons
"I am super excited to be part of the course - thank you so much Geraldine. I have to digest and dig into this now as there has been so much valuable information already. For me, the thought of "collective fiction will shape society" is def an epiphany and while it is quite obvious, I've never really put it into context until now :0 Another thing is the possibility for trend forecasting to help shaping a more sustainable mind set, so we can finally leave the crazy "24 collections a year madness" behind. Personally, I feel mainstream fashion is so anachronistic and out dated on so many levels, and it is time for a change!"
- Julia Klein Klute, Denim Designer, Berlin Germany