HOW TO RESEARCH THE FUTURE
Learn Successful and Comprehensive Methods to Explore the Future Scenarios of the Style Industries
Knowing How to Research the Future has never been so critical
Through comprehensive lectures, exercises, inspirational resources brought together by Futurist Geraldine Wharry, you will be able to expand your professional and creative approach to investigating the future.
You will learn to structure your work, stay inspired and think outside the box with a series of transformative classes that will also bring purpose to your work as a researcher, forecaster and creative.
"How to Research the Future" is a course designed to equip you with the research skills required at every level of our career and personal development. You will focus on both the theoretical and practical aspects of future forecasting research through:
- Learning and applying a structured methodology
- Getting the tools to structure your time
- Organising your research
- Clarifying your research goals
- Understanding the different cycles in research
- Staying inspired but not overwhelmed by your research
- Narrowing down all the information collected
- The different types of research
- The balance between Data gathering and Intuitive research
- When to stop researching and start making sense of the patterns
- How to research a Micro trend versus a Macro trend
What To Expect from this Course
The Course toolbox and Resources are as follows:
- 6 Modules
- An average of 3 to 9 lectures per module
- Video lessons pre-recorded so that you can learn at your own pace
- Downloadable MP3 recordings to listen to classes on the go
- Downloadable Research Library
- Downloadable Exercises and Quizzes throughout the course
- 1 Live session a month with Geraldine Wharry as your host with replays available
- Access to the Trend Atelier Community with real time feedback, access to events, workshops and global members driven by futures literacy and creating a preferable future
- Downloadable and editable Course Workbook
- Tutorials on how to organise and develop your research
- Certificate of Course Completion
- Learn on the go on your phone via the Teachable App (available on IOS only)
- The classes can be completed in approximately 10 hours but some students will take longer. it depends on your schedule and style of learning and how often you like to consult the lectures
- The course is self paced
- Lifetime access once enrolled
- As a student you gain Lifetime access to the Trend Atelier course & community upon enrolment
Get started now!
Who is this Course for?
Whether you are a Designer, Buyer, Merchandiser, Marketer, Academic, Student or simply Curious, becoming knowledgeable on how future patterns can be researched is what this comprehensive course will take you through step-by-step.
If you’re not a Fashion Designer, or a Designer at all for that matter, the course will be invaluable. You will garner the methodology your instructor has herself applied to fields as diverse as Design, Innovation, Beauty, Retail, Tech and Fashion.
Geraldine Wharry's global experience as a Fashion Futurist and Designer has led her to collaborate with leading brands, agencies and institutions across Europe, Asia and the USA within Fashion, Beauty, Tech, Innovation, Marketing and Retail. Her clients have included Wgsn, Dior Beauty, Samsung and 7 For All Mankind.
She is based in London where she runs her consultancy, after working in the USA for 11 years in New York and Los Angeles. Geraldine is originally from Paris where she studied Textile Design. You can find out more here.
Passionate about knowledge and from a family of educators, artists and scientists, Geraldine has also dedicated herself to public speaking, mentoring, lecturing at leading universities and writing for publications ranging from Dazed Beauty to Fashion Network.
A letter from your Instructor Geraldine Wharry
"Research is cyclical, it's a self feeding and ever growing model. Trends can seem at your fingertip but research is not a linear process. This is why within the complexities of Future Trends Research, it's key to have the right methodologies in what I call the "HUNT" phase of future forecasting.
The transformation this course provides is understanding where to start the research, how to feel in control of the research process and how to ensure that your results are successful. When researching it can be quite hard sometimes to know the destination there is so much information out there that we can sometimes feel overwhelmed. I know the feeling!
What is important is to create a discipline around your research and allow yourself to explore freely whilst also being methodical. It's a dance! It’s a balance between being organised and being very open-minded about where your research takes you. Over the years I have learnt how to jump back and forth between these techniques and mindsets.
First the research process was something I learnt as a design student. Then I learnt how to do it in a very concentrated and pressure tested way as a designer before we would start the collections. And after that as a forecaster I learnt to research on a constant basis. All of these experiences combined have taught me the power of research. They have enabled me to jump back and forth through different methods and this is what I want to share with you through this course.
Because Research is a fascinating process that can be challenging, liberating, inspiring. It can be so many things! And at a time when we must think critically in order to take action for what we want the future to be, for ourselves, our society and our planet, I feel that Research is absolutely fundamental.
My students mean a lot to me and are now spread across the globe. I hope you can join the community and grow from this course, learning the tools that have certainly helped me grow in my practice, and have been transformational for my students. "
Your Teacher will be right there with You
- You will have direct access by asking questions within the course portal and getting feedback
- To be a part of our Private Trello Board for networking and sharing resources please see our Masterclass
- For access to our monthly Live sessions please see our Masterclass
Caitlin Monahan👆🏻 is a Freelance Design Manager and Managing Director of Limbo+Hatch, an incubator for emerging trends and talent. You can also find her on Instagram at @caitcmo. Here she speaks about how the course "How to Research the Future" has benefited her work and we couldn't be happier to have had Caitlin on the course.
Nayara Moia👆🏻 is a seasoned future strategy consultant and consumer behaviour expert from Brazil, based between Sao Paolo, Stockholm and Berlin. She is also the ambassador of Women of Wearables Berlin. You can find her on Instagram at @nayaramoia. In the video Nayara shares how the course benefited her even though she has over 7 years of experience. It helped her solidify her methodologies and also gave her access to a global community of peers through the school's live sessions.
You can find out more about Nayara's work, Linkedin and blog here.
"The whole course has been amazing. I was really impressed by the humility advice. I think it's important no matter where you work. I feel I made a lot of progress by knowing more about what a forecaster do and how he does it. I'm a journalist, now working on the business side of fashion, and I hope this experience will help me to built a stronger career profile. I will start your other class soon. Thanks a lot!"
- Diana Leon, Journalist for Fashion Network and blogger at Diana Leon Creative, Paris France
"I am thoroughly enjoying your course and am excited to start putting what I have learned in to practice. Your course has given me great insight and has made me even more hungry to pursue a job in Trend forecasting."
- Lauryn Duguid, Creative Researcher, Lecturer and Colour Enthusiast, Fashion Educator, London United Kingdom
"Geraldine's guide to trend forecasting is comprehensive and straight forward. Furthermore she uses clear examples so you can better understand the theory. The graphics are outstanding and the structure is intuitively organized. I think it is the perfect tool for someone starting out in the forecasting field. I couldn't recommend it more."
- Ana Maria, Contributor to Elle Deco Romania and interior design PR consultant, Prague Czech Republic.