FORECAST TRENDS LIKE A FUTURIST
"Fashion Forecasting: Trend Hunting & Gathering”: Learn how to Research The Future and Create Reports
The Course reopens in the Fall of 2019
What is our common goal? We will prioritise on the process of hunting, identifying and gathering the signals of the future. Researching Trends and being in tune with the future of design and the world at large is a key skill in the Creative Industries. Being a Futurist is much more than hunting for the new.
In this course we aim to expand your creative and philosophical thinking through comprehensive and inspiring lectures, live sessions as well as real life tangible examples. We will focus on both the theoretical knowledge and the practical deliverables of future forecasting. When learning to research and identify future shifts in behaviours and aesthetics, there are a number of challenges. Together we will tackle the questions that may have paused your progress. Do any of these pain points feel familiar?
- How & when a trend repeats itself?
- How to work around a project brief?
- How to write reports?
- How to analyse signals and patterns of behaviour by applying a structured methodology?
- When to stop researching and to start making sense of the patterns?
- What is the difference between micro & macro trends?
- The balance between data gathering and intuitive research?
- How to prioritise what is important and not just personal preference?
- How to narrow down all the information collected into key messages and solutions?
Who is this Course for?
Whether you are a Designer, Buyer, Merchandiser, Marketer, Academic, Student or simply Curious, becoming knowledgeable on how future patterns can be researched, identified and then communicated into a deliverable is what this comprehensive course will take you through step-by-step.
The course is for those who want to study:
- A rigorous methodology of researching and identifying future behaviours
- A futurist’s way of uncovering, communicating and delivering insights
- We will focus on Macro and Micro Trends affecting the Style Industries
- I will teach how to cross triangulate the Cultural,Technological, Scientific, Socio-Political and Artistic signals that point to the future.
If you’re not a Fashion Designer, or a Designer at all for that matter, the course will be invaluable as you will garner the methodology I have myself applied to the fields as diverse as Beauty, Retail, Tech and Fashion.
The course will teach how to structure your argument and communicate key future concepts and solutions, through visuals and writing. And in the age of Automation and Artificial Intelligence, to differentiate yourself from a machine, it's key to remain original and have a point of view through critical thinking and creativity. The course cannot teach you how to be an original thinker, but we will discuss the importance of developing your own sense making. Last but not least, we aim to question and redefine the role of future trend forecasting within the context of climate change and the need for sustainability in the style industry.
What To Expect in Class
What will be your Toolbox and the Resources made available to you? For a lifetime.
- 6 Modules
- An average of 10 lectures per module
- Videos and Screen cast tutorials
- Research Library
- Trend Report template
- Exercises and Quizzes throughout the module
- Course Workbook
- Tutorials on how to organise your research
- Tutorials on how to create your report
Your Teacher will be right there with You
How will you be able to access your Instructor, share your comments, ask questions and network?
- A Private Community Board for questions, feedback, networking and sharing resources
- Live Sessions with your teacher scheduled throughout the course
Geraldine Wharry's global experience as a Fashion Futurist and Designer has led her to collaborate with leading brands, agencies and institutions across Europe, Asia and the USA within Fashion, Beauty, Tech, Innovation, Marketing and Retail. Her clients have included Wgsn, Dior Beauty, Samsung and 7 For All Mankind.
She is based in London where she runs her consultancy, after working in the USA for 11 years in New York and Los Angeles. Geraldine is originally from Paris where she studied Textile Design. You can find out more here.
Passionate about knowledge and from a family of educators, artists and scientists, Geraldine has also dedicated herself to public speaking, mentoring, lecturing at leading universities and writing for publications ranging from Dazed Beauty to Fashion Network.
"I took Geraldine’s course at CASS University in 2015. The course focused on the importance of innovation and how to balance design instinct with factual research. Indeed, with years of successful experiences, Geraldine delivers an insightful step by step process that helps students to go from trend reporting to “real” trend forecasting, sharpen their creative intuition and be inquisitive with a defined purpose. I really enjoyed the course and all the inspired conversations that Geraldine and I have had since. I recommend this course to anyone who wishes to be ahead of the curve in their industry while boosting their creativity."
- Dorothée Pugnet, Design Consultant / Freelance Jewellery Designer / Trend Spotter at Dorothee Pugnet Design Consultancy
" During my course at IED, Geraldine taught me that to be a forecaster and detect the future, not only you must work on your skills to recognise patterns through society and disciplines but simultaneously you should keep thinking how those changes, that are occurring before your eyes, will impact the future. Geraldine was an inspiring teacher, futurist and even more as a person."
- Giulia Moschen Bracho, Trend Researcher
"Geraldine's guide to trend forecasting is comprehensive and straight forward. Furthermore she uses clear examples so you can better understand the theory. The graphics are outstanding and the structure is intuitively organized. I think it is the perfect tool for someone starting out in the forecasting field. I couldn't recommend it more."
- Ana Maria, Contributor to Elle Deco Romania and interior design PR consultant, Prague Czech Republic.