FORECAST TRENDS LIKE A FUTURIST
Learn how to Explore & Present Future Scenarios for the Style Industries
Our Common Goal
We will prioritise on the process of hunting, identifying and gathering the signals of the future with your instructor Geraldine Wharry, a leading futurist with 20 years of global experience.
Researching Trends and being in tune with the future of design and the world at large is a key skill in the Creative Industries.
In this course we aim to expand your creative and philosophical thinking through comprehensive and inspiring lectures, live sessions as well as real life tangible examples. We will focus on both the theoretical knowledge and the practical deliverables of future forecasting:
- Researching and identifying future shifts in behaviours and aesthetics
- Structuring your thinking and your research
- Delivering an impactful forecast both visually and in written form
There are a number of challenges to gain confidence and experience we will tackle. Do any of these pain points feel familiar?
- How to analyse signals and patterns of behaviour by applying a structured methodology?
- How to narrow down all the information collected into key messages and solutions?
- What are the different types of research?
- The balance between Data gathering and Intuitive research?
- How & when a trend repeats itself?
- How to work around a project brief?
- How to write about future trend concepts and direction?
- When to stop researching and to start making sense of the patterns?
- What is the difference between Micro & Macro trends?
- What is visual prototyping?
- What is scenario planning?
Get started now!
Who is this Course for?
Whether you are a Designer, Buyer, Merchandiser, Marketer, Academic, Student or simply Curious, becoming knowledgeable on how future patterns can be researched, identified and presented, is what this comprehensive course will take you through step-by-step.
The course is for those who want to study:
- A rigorous methodology of researching and identifying future behaviours
- We will focus on Macro and Micro Trends affecting the Style Industries
- How to cross triangulate the Cultural, Technological, Scientific, Socio-Political and Artistic signals that point to the future
If you’re not a Fashion Designer, or a Designer at all for that matter, the course will be invaluable as you will garner the methodology your instructor has herself applied to fields as diverse as Beauty, Retail, Tech and Fashion.
The course will teach how to structure your argument and communicate key future concepts, through visuals and writing. And in the age of Automation and Artificial Intelligence, to differentiate yourself from a machine, it's key to remain original and have a point of view through critical thinking and creativity.
The course cannot teach you how to be an original thinker, but we will discuss the importance of developing your own sense making. Last but not least, we aim to question and redefine the role of future trend forecasting within the context of climate change and sustainability in the style industry.
What To Expect in Class
What will be your Toolbox and the Resources made available to you? For a lifetime
- 6 Modules
- An average of 10 lectures per module
- Videos and Screen cast tutorials
- Research Library
- Trend Report template
- Exercises and Quizzes throughout the module
- Course Workbook
- Tutorials on how to organise your research
- Tutorials on how to create your report
Your Teacher will be right there with You
How will you be able to access your Instructor, share your comments, ask questions and network?
- A Private Community Board for questions, feedback, networking and sharing resources
- Live Sessions with your teacher scheduled throughout the course
Geraldine Wharry's global experience as a Fashion Futurist and Designer has led her to collaborate with leading brands, agencies and institutions across Europe, Asia and the USA within Fashion, Beauty, Tech, Innovation, Marketing and Retail. Her clients have included Wgsn, Dior Beauty, Samsung and 7 For All Mankind.
She is based in London where she runs her consultancy, after working in the USA for 11 years in New York and Los Angeles. Geraldine is originally from Paris where she studied Textile Design. You can find out more here.
Passionate about knowledge and from a family of educators, artists and scientists, Geraldine has also dedicated herself to public speaking, mentoring, lecturing at leading universities and writing for publications ranging from Dazed Beauty to Fashion Network.
"This was a great course with an awesome instructor! The course helped me understand how to combine my intuition with data to form a comprehensive trend report. When I started the course, I did NOT know the theory behind trend forecasting. You, the course, gave a clear understanding of the theory behind trend forecasting and its importance. It was inspirational and very resourceful. I would love to make the whole course into a hardcover so I can have it at all times. Thank you so much!"
- Ana Ortega, Fashion Educator, New York USA
"Geraldine's guide to trend forecasting is comprehensive and straight forward. Furthermore she uses clear examples so you can better understand the theory. The graphics are outstanding and the structure is intuitively organized. I think it is the perfect tool for someone starting out in the forecasting field. I couldn't recommend it more."
- Ana Maria, Contributor to Elle Deco Romania and interior design PR consultant, Prague Czech Republic.
" During my course at IED, Geraldine taught me that to be a forecaster and detect the future, not only you must work on your skills to recognise patterns through society and disciplines but simultaneously you should keep thinking how those changes, that are occurring before your eyes, will impact the future. Geraldine was an inspiring teacher, futurist and even more as a person."
- Giulia Moschen Bracho, Trend Researcher, Barcelona Spain
Get started now!